Food Policy Groups Around the World
Food policy groups (FPGs) are most prevalent in the United States, Canada, and United Kingdom—but FPGs are active and emerging in Western Europe, Central Europe, and Australasia.
What’s in a Name?
Networks of food system stakeholders go by various names. In North America, food policy council (FPC) is the most commonly used term, but these groups are also known as food councils, food coalitions or committees, food policy task forces, food alliances or food system networks. In Europe, some are considered FPCs, but others identify as food partnerships (most prevalent in the UK), boards, or steering groups. Some groups do not use the word “policy” because they wish to avoid being perceived as political or partisan actors, whereas others focus on programs as well as policy.
While a group’s name sets its tone and framework, we consider these groups similar enough to call them food policy groups (FPGs). Food policy groups share similar overall goals to make the food system more equitable, sustainable and resilient, but vary in their organizational structure, relationships with government and funding sources. For instance, FPGs in the UK tend to focus less on changing municipal policies because local governments have less policymaking power in UK than in the US. Below is a list of FPGs we have heard about from across the Global North.
FPGs Around the World
- Food Communities Network (Réseau Communautés Nourricières) (National network)
- Local Canadian councils also listed in Food Policy Networks directory
- Terres en villes (National Network)
- Conseil Consultatif de Gouvernance Alimentaire Durable (Bordeaux)
Germany - map of German councils
- Ernährungsrat Berlin
- Cologne Nutrition Council
- Ernährungsrat Frankfurt
- Ernährungsrat Hamburg
- Ernährungsrat Düsseldorf
- Ernährungsrat Leipzig
- Ernährungsrat Freiburg und Region
- Ernährungsrat Essen
- Ernährungsrat Bielefeld
- Ernährungsrat Munich
- Edible Cities Kassel
- Ernährungsrat Innsbruck e.V.
- Ernährungsrat Prignitz-Ruppin
- Ernährungsrat Südtirol
- Ernährungsrat Lüneburg
- Ernährungsrat Bonn (In formation)
- Ernährungsrat Nürnberg
- Ernährungsrat Hanover
- Ernährungsrat Oldenburg
- Ernährungsrat Dresden
- Ernährungsrat Leutkirch
- Ernährungsrat Stuttgart
- Ernährungsrat Ruhr area
- Ernährungsrat Ludwigsburg
- Ernährungsrat Singen
- Ernährungsrat Constance
- Ernährungsrat Waldkirch
- Italian Network for Local Food Policies (Rete Italiana Politiche Locali del Cibo) (National Network).
- The Food Policy Council South Tyrol (FPCST) - Mentioned in Fischer, C., Gritsch, B., & Köhne, A. (2019, October). Strengthening an Alpine-Mediterranean Food System in the Mountains of South Tyrol. RUAF Urban Agriculture Magazine. Retrieved from https://ruaf.org/document/urban-agriculture-magazine-no-36-food-policy-councils/
Food Council MRA (Amsterdam) - Mentioned in Fischer, C., Gritsch, B., & Köhne, A. (2019, October). Strengthening an Alpine-Mediterranean Food System in the Mountains of South Tyrol. RUAF Urban Agriculture Magazine. Retrieved from https://ruaf.org/document/urban-agriculture-magazine-no-36-food-policy-councils/
Note: We recognize that there are many additional grassroots food/farm/worker movements in the Global South that function outside of the scope of FPGs as conceived in this summary, so they are not included at this time. If you would like to add your FPG and contact information to this list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org